Monday 16 July 2007

The Boriblogs 16th July 2007


Image: Beau D'or

So Boris has thrown his hat in to the ring. It's a big name but not even Tony Blair and New Labour could shift Mayor Ken so his struggle is very much an uphill one. I would be interested to hear what his plans for London are, particularly whether he will continue Ken's massive investment on transport and social issues. It does unnerve me a bit to think that Boris could be put in charge of TfL, the GLA, the LDA and play a major role in the Met police. But I am willing to hear the great man out at least...

Press Release: 16 July 2007

I am happy to confirm that I have today put my name forward to be the Conservative Candidate for London Mayor.

I have been overwhelmed by the support I have received from so many people across London. I intend to remain an MP and will continue to represent the people of Henley, as I have done since 2001. I have, however, resigned from the frontbench as Shadow Minister for Higher Education with immediate effect.

London is an outstandingly varied and beautiful place and it deserves a proper debate. I want to bring fresh ideas to the Capital and offer a new direction for Londoners. I believe that the Mayor of London should keep things simple and direct his or her intellectual energy at the core problems that affect people's everyday lives. I look forward to announcing my detailed proposals later in the summer, should I be fortunate enough to be shortlisted by the Conservative Party.

Even the greatest cities have further greatness in them. I will stand for a greater London and for putting the smile back on London's face.


Boris Campaign Underway

Guido hears that Dan Ritterband, who was key in Cameron's leadership campaign, has switched from backing Nick Boles (pulled out due to serious illness) to campaigning for Boris. A campaigning web-site will be live soon...

UPDATE : BackBoris.Com is live.

Guido Fawkes

Steve Norris Should Stand Against Boris But the Others Should Depart the Scene

Over the weekend I have lost count of the number of people who asked me whether I thought Boris would stand. My reply each time was that I hadn't got a clue. Well now we know. Between now and noon, the other candidates have to decide whether there is any point in putting themselves forward. My advice to them - with one exception - would be that they shouldn't bother.

Iain Dale

Send Boris a message

Well Bozzer has decided to go for it. Why not call 0845 257 0 427 and leave him a message. "I'm backing Boris because.......

Tory Radio

Boris Johnson, Tony Lit: celebrity big politics

Welcome to the Celebrity Big Politics house. Want to hold elected office? Forget all that nonsense about dutifully campaigning for your party at local level for a decade or two, maybe serving as a councillor, or getting your head around the subtler nuances of important policy issues.

Dave’s Part

The best mayoral medicine

Boris Johnson will bring a gale of laughter to the London mayoral election, with the 'cheeky chappie' appeal that helped Ken Livingstone land the job.

Simon Jenkins

Boris shows his hand

Well well well. He's gone and done it. When I urged bloggers to draft Boris little did I believe that it would actually happen.

David Cameron must be wondering whether to cheer or cry. He wanted a high-profile, high-octane, fun-packed challenge to Ken but you can have too much of a good thing. If Boris is selected by his party - remember that he does have to win a primary before he becomes the Tory candidate - that high-profile, high-octane, fun-packed challenge would compete daily with anything Team Cameron puts out to promote their man.

Nick Robinson

The Wit & Wisdom of Boris Johnson

On using a mobile phone while driving, August 2002

I don't believe that is necessarily any more dangerous than the many other risky things that people do with their free hands while driving - nose-picking, reading the paper, studying the A-Z, beating the children, and so on.” Cont…

James Edmondson


Boris finally officially absolutely totally standing for Mayor

Boris has officially announced his candidacy for the London Mayor, after a weekend of secret meetings and behind the scenes action. Boris said, “The opportunity is too great and the prize too wonderful to miss… the chance to represent London and speak for Londoners.”

Boris Watch

Can Boris beat Ken?

It’s just been confirmed that Boris Johnson IS to seek the Tory nomination to stand for the Mayor of London next May.On that day also there will be the elections for the London Assembly which in 2000 and 2004 have seen the Tories winning the popular vote across London. The reason that they failed in the Mayoral race is that so many Tory and Lib Dem supporters switched to Ken in the Mayor ballot.Can Boris retain the Tory vote? If he does then he could win.William Hill were offering 8/1 on Boris doing it. That seems a good price.

Political Betting

No comments: